With the return of Jazz on the Lawn, Santa Monica’s annual summer concert series, I wanted to share our pointers for a successful outing.
- Free: Because there is no guilt in bailing if the concert was free.
- Bring the stroller that has a tray. This is the only way I can compel Wilshire to eat. Otherwise there’s too much going on.
- Finger Foods are Picnic-Friendly Foods! Think: Crudites with peanut butter and/or hummus; cheese; crackers; cold cuts, including salami or smoked salmon; diced fruit. Not: Rice, pasta, takeout from the Ralphs hot food bar (we’ve done it, it doesn’t end well).
- Bring Friends and Neighbors – or better yet, bring grandparents! Outdoor concerts like Jazz on the Lawn are all-ages, and therefore suitable for the grandparents! And I appreciate having the extra set of hands to follow kids around.
- Bring a Blanket: This functions as an anchor for food and drinks.
- Bug Spray: Not required for Santa Monica, but in many parts of the US, these outdoor concerts are during sunset, which is when bugs become abundant.